Sunday, November 10, 2013

Entrelac and the Benefits of a Messy Craft Room

This is my first ever attempt at entrelac:
Thankfully, it looks exactly like it's supposed to (go, me!).

I am using Gwen Bortner's book Entree to Entrelac (2010), in which she explains the whole thing pretty well and makes great use of charts and images to help the beginner along.

There are a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned in the book, that I think should be pretty close to Page 1. First, it would be helpful to know up front that the bits that appear to be on the same row are not knitted together like they would be in, say, intarsia.  Second, each bit ends near where the next bit begins, so there aren't any floats like there would be for fair isle.  Both if these things started as questions I couldn't work out until I'd done this first square. Other than that, I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn entrelac.

And just what, you might ask, does a messy craft room have to do with any of that?  I'll tell you.  I was sitting in my chair flipping through the book and wanted to give it a go, but I didn't really want to go hunting through my yarn stash for scrap yarn.  Conveniently, I had the remnants of another project messily stuffed into a basket near my chair, so I used that.  Very convenient.  After all, who knows what other projects-in-waiting might have grabbed my attention if I'd gone through my yarn stash?  I can't be the only one who gets distracted by other potential projects or all the pretty colors when hunting for yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment