Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cookie Rolling Board

Sometime after we bought our house a couple of years ago, I started making rolled cookies instead of drop cookies, with loads of instruction from "Cookie Craft" by Valerie Peterson and Janice Fryer:


This is a really good book. However, I realized pretty quickly that I was going to need to fashion something stable to help me roll the dough to the instructed 1/4 inch or to any other standardized thickness. My Hubby and I headed to the local hardware superstore (can't remember which one) and picked out some tiles and Gorilla Glue. The end result:


The tiles on the sides are 1/4" thick and far enough apart to allow a good bit of dough to be rolled out, yet close enough together to keep the rolling pin from sliding off and squishing the dough. While the Gorilla Glue is waterproof, I put the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. That keeps the board and the rolling pin clean, and the sheets can then be used to bake the cookies. More tips I got from the book.

Sometimes, though, we just want cookies and I don't have the time or energy to get all fancy, so I still make drop cookies. My ranger cookies, for example, while not very pretty are a family and work favorite. But that's a blog post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment