Sunday, November 15, 2009

Birthday Cakes

My younger daughter had a birthday yesterday, so we managed to have her party actually on her birthday. As with all my kids, I wanted to make a couple of cakes based on something she likes. Currently, that thing is vampires, and has been for about a year or so. I wanted to make something like a 3-D crypt or coffin, so I started out with a 9x13" cake. It didn't pan out:



Ok, it's a Cake Fail: it just wouldn't come out of the pan whole. However, I managed to salvage enough pieces large enough to make a smaller version:



I also made a castle cake, and tried to make it look like a ruin, which was not difficult given that it also didn't come out of the pan whole. Fortunately, the green icing used to portray moss was also useful as an adhesive:



I had to make a third cake because the coffin was basically a 1-2 person cake, so I used an idea my Hubby found online, and made a basic white cake with an added vampire-related feature:



I put the same strawberry goo in the middle of the layers, which added flavor without adding too much sugar, since I made the filling myself.

So what happened to the coffin cake? As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:


1 comment: