Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Problem of Yarn Storage

Ugh. I have a lot of yarn. I love my yarn (well, 95% of it), and with the obvious exception of making something and giving it to someone, I don't want to part with it. Half of it is stored in neatly-stacked clear plastic bins in the upper part of my closet, though "organized" would be too strong a word:





The other half, however, is not so neat:


 

There's more, but it only gets worse and becomes interspersed with other arts-and-crafts supplies such as cloth and the sewing box (the black toolbox partially visible in the last two photos). Also, having settled into our house rather late in life, I still occasionally find a random ball of yarn I evidently stuck somewhere while packing during one move or another, in some cases, many years ago. Some of my yarn is older than my children. The taupe colored ball perched atop the plastic box and looking like a small bail of hay in the last pic is one such randomly-located ball, and I just found it yesterday while unpacking some boxes that have been waiting their turn for over a year. Usually, I have a good laugh at myself while walking the stray yarn to the closet, only to look around in dismay, sigh, and stick it randomly in one the yarn boxes, hopefully one that has yarn of similar color. In this case, I just gave up and stuck it on the box, hoping the cats don't get into the closet before I figure out where to put it.

With that in mind, I did some online research this morning for yarn storage solutions, and found nothing to suit my needs except a lot of good suggestions, all of which involve my making something. What? Me? Make something? Perish the very thought!

So for now, my search for an acceptable yarn storage solution continues. I'll post again if/when I figure something out. Naturally, I'm open to suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Solution: Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, um Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, we could charge admission and stuff... Maybe Weird Al would show up :-D

    ReplyDelete