Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yarnblob on the Edge!


I'll bet by now you're wondering why I'm posting pics of "yarnblobs." Well, it has been my experience that every time I wind yarn from a pre-wound skein to a spool (cake?), there's always a blob of yarn in the middle that plops out and has to be untangled before winding can continue. Every. Single. Time. So, I decided to start taking pictures of them and on posting them once a week. I figure I'll never run out of these pics unless Murphy's Law kicks in and suddenly my life becomes yarnblob free..... It could happen.

4 comments:

  1. Why is that? Sometimes even when I wind my yarn into a cake, I get a yarnblob when I use the cake. Here's to yarnblobness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea, but it's as sure as gravity. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute. You actually WIND YARN FROM A PRE-WOUND SKEIN TO A CAKE? You re-wind your yarn? Why in the name of the good spirits would you make extra work for yourself? Is there a benefit to it that I'm not aware of?

    Meanwhile, I get yarnblobs from all my hand-wound cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah yes, I do, and yes, there is. Most pre-wound skeins have knots, a yarnblob waiting to happen, splits or joins in the yarn, etc. Once I got a skein of sock yarn that had a good half ounce of 1-inch pieces all blobbed together in the center, and I would have been very upset had I been halfway through a sock before finding that out. Plus, it helps when you're trying to match colors in self-striping yarns. It's also far easier to transport smaller cakes than a whole skein, especially the larger 1-pound baby yarn skeins (yes, I take knitting everywhere). In the case of the baby blankets I tend to make on Vera (or anything I make on Vera) it vastly reduces the tension of the yarn (which is good for Vera) and I can also have several cakes going at once for the different colored blocks and edgings.

    So, I might be crazy for doing it, but there's a method to my madness. Bwahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete